Billingshurst Community Partnership

Company No 5573204

A company limited by guarantee

Registered in England and Wales

Registered Office: 1st Floor, Atlantic House, Jengers Mead, Billingshurst, RH14 9PB


CONTACT US HERE


July 2017 Minutes - Draft

Other minutes for 2017

Please follow the links for the appropriate month

MINUTES OF THE PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT MEETING
HELD AT THE BILLINGSHURST CENTRE
Thursday 27 July 2017

Present

Helen Abbott HA Individual Management Committee
Hazel Barnes HB The Wednesday Group Management Committee
Denise Campbell DC Chair BCP Director
Jane Cross JC Individual Management Committee
Owen Davies OD BCP Director
Sandy Duck SD Seniors Luncheon Club Management Committee
Emma Fogg EF Street Pastors Member
Carolyn Gibbs CG Individual Member
Alan Grant AG Individual Affiliate
Ken Johnson KJ Billingshurst Lions Club Director
Gillian Knight GK History Society Director
June Perks JBP Secretary to the Partnership Management Committee
Patrick Perks PP Individual Management Committee
Martin Spurrier MS Chamber of Commerce Affiliate
Carol Terry CT Billingshurst Choral society Management Committee
John Underwood JU BCP Management Committee

 

Minutes June Perks (JBP)

109.1 Welcome: Declaration of Interest... No declarations of interest.

109.2 Apologies for absence, Ben Sheldon, Sandy Duck, John Jones, Carol Boniface, Keith Brown., Gordon Braun, Kate Rowbottom, Tony Priestley, Linda Nicholl,

  • Minutes of the meeting held on 15 June 2017 were accepted with the addition of the words on page 2, 105.9.4 line 1, .. copy of Living Streets Report. Unanimously

    109.4 Matters Arising from the above minutes:

    103.4.1 SPD will be signed by HDC, BCP, CoC and the PC on the 14 September 2017.

    107.5.4 Letter to website users re cost –2 positive replies have been received.

    107.5.7 Food and Drinks Fair – DC reported that Billingshurst has 7 entries on its own page but informed that the proposed Street Food event will not now happen due to lack of interest.

    105.9.4 Better Pavements CT has received no response from Chris Stark. The petition presented at The Billingshurst Show attracted 68 signatures with further comments such as the narrow pavements, overgrown hedges etc. DC suggested this should be taken to the County Local Committee Meeting “Talk with Us”. The next meeting is on the 6 November in Horsham. Questions have to be submitted 3 days before the meeting. CT to contact Richard Davy, Road Safety Officer at WSCC to inform him that we have signatures on a petition and ask that this issue be put onto the Horsham Road Safety Action Group meeting Agenda. Action CT

    DC said the road safety issues should be brought up at the next SPD meeting. She also reported that the Action Plan for JAG 2017 /18 will have an emphasis on the following topics – Road Safety, Vulnerable Adults and Town Centres.

    DC said that there is European money available to fund road safety, pavements and footpath initiatives that County Councils, Parish Councils and District Councils could apply for.

    107.10.1 Noticeboard – in TB’s absence, nothing to report except the board is clear and waiting for something to be put on it.

    106.9.6 Lark in the Park. Congratulations to the team who organised an excellent afternoon event at Station Road Gardens. KB was lauded for the gardens in general and a repeat event is already being planned for 8 July next year. KB thanked Carol Terry, Jane Cross for their support. £600 was raised from cakes and plants; £200 has been donated to Chestnut Tree House. The remaining £400 will be used for the upkeep of the gardens.

  • Report from the Chair DC

  • Wayfinder Posts – DC and MS have finalised the proof for the details of the finger posts. It is anticipated that these will be ready for installation by the end of September. More fingerposts are needed than originally proposed and we have approved funding for from LEADER. DC proposed that these additional posts be bought out of the money received from County to print and promote the CLP. It is justified under Topic 7: “Review and develop clearer ways of publicising the current range of activities and facilities”. The Parish Council have agreed to this. A vote was taken as follows:

    KJ proposed that £310 plus VAT from the CLP fund be used to pay for the additional finger posts. Seconded by GK. Agreed unanimously.

  • EYE. We have received a Draft Heads of Terms from County which will enable us to satisfy fund givers that, assuming we can secure funds to build EYE within 2 years, we will then be able to enter into a 25 year Land Lease with a peppercorn rent. This is currently being reviewed by our legal counsel.

  • DC distributed cards “Identifying Drug-related Litter” to those who had a potential interest in this subject. DC is expecting a PDF copy from HDC.

  • Financial Report AB See attached written report.

    109.7 Reports Received: No written reports have been received.

  • Questions on project reports No questions

  • Billifest – it was agreed that Billifest will be held on the 2 December and that we should start seeking sponsorship.

    1 KJ agreed to chair the committee

    2 The event will be held in the High Street

    3 MS will begin searching for funds

    4 KJ. Although we have £1500 in the Billifest fund the event costs c£4000 to stage.

    5 SD has already found new stallholders and others asking if the event is go ahead. SD suggested that we should ask businesses in the High Street for donations rather than prizes for the raffle.

    6 HA and CT agreed to organise the raffle with their team

    7 JBP will co-ordinate with KJ a list from last year’s volunteers

    8 KJ will choose a date for the first meeting of the committee

    9 MS pointed out there is a deadline for printing the programme, letters should be going out now.

    10 DC we should approach the County Local Committee for a grant.

    11 JU said the bus stop was an issue last year with people complaining that the bus route was altered - SD had properly organised this last year – what more can be done?

    Action – KJ for a date and JBP to send out to the volunteers from last year.

  • AOB
    • HB A Divisional Minibus Organiser has been found – Steve O’Dowd.
    • HB A defibrillator is now installed on the side wall of the Church Office. An information session will be held on Sunday 27 August at 12 pm at the church room. Although concern was shown that due to vandalism a number pad is required to release the machine, it was pointed out that if urgent the defibrillator can be ripped off the wall.
    • Station Road Gardens KB The gardens are supported by HM’s Prison at Ford by supplying some workers and plants. KB is organising a Brinsbury student to have work experience in the gardens starting in September. KB explained that the fruit and veg being grown in the gardens is nurtured/harvested by the children at WAKOOS and the Junior School.
    • JU Dementia Friendly – Carol Boniface and he are meeting with Alan Grant to look at buildings where signage could be better.
    • GAZEBOS – KB has looked at the sorry state of 3 gazebos (1 is missing altogether). He hopes to be able to make one good one and keep parts for future upkeep. WE NEED NEW GAZEBOS. The Gazebo’s will now be stored in the Station Road Gardens Shed. JBP will try to keep track of equipment listed on the newly prepared inventory but this only works if we are informed as to who has borrowed what and where it is now.
    • Prevention of Radicalisation Seminar – PP reported that this was an excellent 2 hour presentation well worth attending. The next one in Horsham will be on the 2 October and PP encourages everyone to attend.
    • OD Cabling – there is a lot which we do not require if Billifest is to be held in the High Street. His suggestion that we sell this was not accepted as SD pointed out that if we had to move Billifest it might be needed in future.
    • SD Seniors Luncheon Club – would like us to apply for a grant from the Community Safety Partnerships Fund for Vulnerable People. £600 for the year is required.
    • KJ Membership – We need to actively engage in a campaign to encourage new members. He is willing to remain on the Management Committee for the time being but hopes that others will come forward. JBP reminded those management committee members present that their AGM forms should be with her by the 1 September.
    • AGM – JBP has notified all BCP members by email and the general public via our noticeboards and The village Tweet. COUNCIL CHAMBER 1 Reception from 7 pm on 15 September, 7.30 start and after the business meeting there will be wine and nibbles, closing at 9.30 pm. Parking May be a Problem - Be aware it is a film night
  • Date of next the meeting (after the AGM) Thursday 21 September 2017.

    Meeting closed at 9.30pm

 

DOCUMENT IDENTIFICATION AND STATUS

Title Minutes 27 July 2017

Ref 109

Owner Denise Campbell

Author June Perks

 

DOCUMENT RELEASE AUTHORISATION

Name Denise Campbell

Role Chair, Billingshurst Community Partnership Management Committee

Release Date

Signature………Denise Campbell Chairman………………………………………………….

DOCUMENT HISTORY

Version

Date


1

31 July 2017






Reports

Treasurer’s Report

Document




DISTRIBUTION LIST

Those present

Apologies

BPC

Library

Web

 

PROJECT EYE

 

AUTHOR John Griffin

MONTH May 2017

 

This report is a summary from the presentation notes of 11 May when a full update from start to the present day was given by JG in collaboration with PP. With the exception of FINANCE onwards, all is in chronological order. Over a time span of 8 years.

Selection of the site, preferred Station Road, but inherent problems to be overcome. To be sited on WSCC land adjacent to the school.

Feasibility Studies – appointment of an architect, viability of the site.

Access – landlocked and vehicular access was established.

Legal Representation, appointment of solicitors – to oversee all legal agreements.

Planning Consent –22 conditions were imposed. Final legal agreement regarding access finalised 27 April 2017. Planning Permission can now be granted.

Business Plan (Professionally produced – copies circulated).

Lease – enter into with WSCC, “conditional Agreement to Lease”. Approval required from Weald Governors for the site to be used and from DfE for a change of use from school to community use.

Tendering Process Three contractors approached – Sunninghill, Alan Farrow and Stonehouse.

 

Finance 106 promised £190,000, need to find Grant Providers and PP and I will be preparing our case at the appropriate stage – that is when the lease agreement and the contractor are in place.

 

Construction Phase – Piers Hunter, Quantity Surveyor has been appointed, to manage the project alongside our architect. A timetable will be agreed. Building Phase envisaged as 2018.

 

Functionality at this point Trustees will be required and a management organisation set up to run the facility. We envisage an EYE committee consisting of the core team plus an HDC Councillor, Parish Councillor, Youth Worker, Youth Representatives, Finance Control by Russel Harvey (a parent).

 

SUPPORTING NOTES from JG’S PRESENTATION ON 11 MAY 2017

SITE

Sub-optimal site compared to our preferred site (station Road) but inherent problems needed to be overcome. Gas Main and Access.

FEASIBILITY STUDIES

We appointed an architect and he supervised this phase. Viability of the site was key but all the usual studies were undertaken such as topography, geological, contamination, gas main siting, restrictive covenants, environmental impact statement (slow worms, bats, great crested newts etc.)

ACCESS

Site was landlocked and a vehicular access was established through the Myrtle Lane car park courtesy of HDC. A formal access agreement will be drawn up once we have finalised the lease with WSCC.

LEGAL REPRESENTATION

A firm of solicitors has been appointed to oversee all the legal documentation regarding Planning, Access and Lease Agreements.

PLANNING CONSENT

There were 22 conditions imposed - mostly by Highways – which ranged from emergency services provision, refuse collection arrangements through to safety concerns and parking. Until these were satisfied – even though outline planning consent has already been given – we could not proceed until the S106 provision was met. This required a formal legal agreement regarding access between EYE, HDC and WSCC. This was finalised on 27th April. (Read letter). Only now can Planning Permission be granted to allow the actual building.

BUSINESS PLAN

In order to complete move through these various stages we needed to satisfy various stakeholders both in HDC and WSCC that we had a viable Business Plan. (Show copy). This was professionally produced by Tony Priestley’s daughter at very fair family rates. There will still be questions around funding and financial sustainability which can only be answered as we progress along the timetable continuum.

LEASE

An example of this will be the ‘conditional’ Agreement to Lease that we shall enter into with WSCC. They shall want further reassurance that the monies will be available to construct the facility as well as having a robust revenue programme to maintain the functionality of the EYE facility. The lease agreement has also required the approval of Weald Governors for the site to be used as well as a sign off from the DfE for a change of use from school to community use.

TENDERING PROCESS

We have three contractors interested in quoting for the work: Sunninghill, Alan Farrow and Stone house. Once we have the quotes we shall decide a preferred contractor.

FINANCE

We already have S106 promised to the tune of £190,000 and we shall need a further £700,000 - £850,000 from Grant Providers. PP and I shall be preparing our case for these monies at the appropriate stage - once we have the lease agreement and contractor in place.

CONSTRUCTION PHASE

We shall appoint a Quantity Surveyor (Piers Hunter) to project manage alongside our architect and agree a timetable. Realistically, we do not envisage the building phase until early 2018.

FUNCTIONALITY

At this point we shall have to have appointed our Trustees and set up a management organisation to run the facility. This will also involve the creation of volunteer workers drawn from users of the facility and parents. Up until now the work has mainly been carried out by the Core Team (Patrick, Tony, Denise and myself) with occasional approvals going before Partnership Directors. However, we are now at the stage where we need to involve a broader group of interested people. We envisage an EYE committee consisting of the Core Team, plus an HDC Cllr / Parish Cllr / Youth Worker (Ben Sheldon) / Youth Reps / Finance Control (Russell Harvey – parent) / Jane Cross.

Meantime, the Core Team will keep the various plates spinning whilst putting out any fires!!

 

Billingshurst.community

Billingshurst High Street

 

Treasurer's Report

Author Tony Burke

MONTH MAY

I am currently working on the annual accounts for last year and because I have yet to finalise the b/f figures with the accountant I have not produced my report in the usual table form.

Since my last report there has been little financial activity on General Projects apart from payments relating to maintenance of our website room and vouchers for the YES project..

On the EYE Project we have paid legal fees connected to the S106 for site and received a further payment (£3,435) of S106 grant.

Tony Burke

10 May 2017


PROJECT: Wednesday Group

AUTHOR Hazel Barnes

MONTH May 2017

Billingshurst Wednesday Group meets in St Mary’s Room during the winter and spring for two ten week terms, with a wide variety of speakers providing interesting and stimulating talks. During the summer the opportunity to meet up “out and about” for outings and get-togethers takes place.

During the course of the last two terms, the group has averaged 54 people each week and over the last four years has donated over £3000 to charity or good causes, including two donations to help fund the Village Agent. A cheque has just been written for £1,000 towards the provision of a defibrillator that will be accessible from both St Mary’s Room & the church.

There is not formal membership, all are welcome to come along, paying £3.00 per morning. We help by subsidising some of our older members who use the Community Transport because getting to the meetings has become difficult. The talks start at 10.00 am and are followed by refreshments at 11.00.

I hope this will be of interest & informative - Hazel



PROJECT Village Agent, Age UK

AUTHOR Carol Boniface

MONTH MAY 2017

I’ve nearly completed all necessary training relevant to the village agent role and hope to be spending much more time within the community. This will include attending the Billingshurst Show on 25th June. I am in the process of dealing with 3 referrals for older people for support. We recently held a Take Five event in Lavinia House around scams which was very well attended with a few residents from Billingshurst there and I’m also attended the Over 65s club with Sandy on 8th May to give a scam talk alongside Patrick.