Billingshurst Community Partnership

Company No 5573204

A company limited by guarantee

Registered in England and Wales

Registered Office: 1st Floor, Atlantic House, Jengers Mead, Billingshurst, RH14 9PB


CONTACT US HERE


November 2017 Minutes

Other minutes for 2017

Please follow the links for the appropriate month

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT MEETING
HELD AT THE BILLINGSHURST CENTRE
Thursday 2 November 2017

Present

Helen Abbott

HA

Billingshurst & District Rotary Club

Management Committee

Keith Brown

KB

Station Rd/Gardens

Management

Tony Burke

TB

Treasurer

Director

Sharon Cadman

SC

Individual

Member

Owen Davies

OD

BCP

Member

Carolyn Gibbs

CG

Individual

Member

Gillian Knight

GK

History Society

Director

June Perks

JBP

Secretary to the Partnership

Management Committee

Patrick Perks

PP

Individual

Management Committee

Kate Rowbottom

KR

HDC

Affiliate

Carol Terry

CT

Billingshurst Choral society

Management Committee

John Underwood

JU

BCP

Management Committee

Lavinia McHugh

LMc

WSCC Library Service

In attendance

 

Minutes June Perks (JBP)

110.1 Welcome: to all and Lavinia McHugh Declaration of Interest... No declarations of interest.

 

110.2 Apologies for absence, Ben Sheldon, Sandy Duck, John Jones, Tony Priestley, Hazel Barnes, John Griffin, Denise Campbell, Martin Spurrier, Jane Cross, Alan Grant, Ken Johnson, Emma Fogg, Gordon Braun

 

110.3 Minutes of the meeting held on 27 July 2017 were accepted as a true record.

 

110.4 Matters Arising from the above minutes:

 

107.10.1 Noticeboard JU What is happening – PP it is hoped that the Lions and Rotary could be included with a “welcome to Billingshurst” but nothing has been decided.

 

109.9.5 Gazebos KB is storing the remains of 2, hopes to obtain one good one from the pieces and waiting for good weather to attempt this. The meeting felt that the possibility of hiring rather than purchase would be a good avenue to explore when gazebos are next needed.

 

109.9.8 Luncheon Club AB has submitted an application to WSCC for a grant.

 

110.5 Report from the Chair GK Vice Chair in DC’s absence

 

Lavinia McHugh was formally introduced and asked to give a precis of her role with the Library as Children’s Librarian. She covers Storrington, Steyning, Haywards Heath, Horsham as well as Billingshurst and Pulborough where she is based. She is involved with community, children, families, reading clubs, adults, managing operations and staff spread over this wide area. She has been in this role for two and half years. Because of staff shortages the Library will be unable to join in with Billifest. But there will be a coffee morning at the Library on Tuesday 5 December 10.30 – 12.

 

Sharon Cadman was formally welcomed as a new member having joined since the AGM.

    1. Horsham Year of Culture 2019 – it is hoped that interested parties can meet at the beginning of December at the Unitarian Chapel. On the 14 November Carolyn Gibbs, Denise Campbell and GK will meet Nick Jenkins and Louisa Brace to discuss what can be done. Organisations will be contacted to join in and be asked to consider doing something special for the HDC Year of Culture 2019. SC said the idea is also to do have a special theme each month, to which events can be linked.
    2. Chamber of Commerce There is a new Chairman; after DC’s meeting with him she recognised his understanding of his new role in relation to Billingshurst. The new regime means that only business people will be on the CoC executive therefore PP is no longer our representative. However members of organisations will be welcome at their monthly meetings. Historically John Griffin/Ken Johnson, Sandy Duck and PP had regenerated the CoC. Martin Spurrier was their affiliated representative on the BCP.
    3. DC Tourism DC and PP will attend their launch on the 16 November at South Lodge.
110.6 Financial Report AB See attached written report.

    The annual accounts presented at the AGM must be accepted by the BCP before the auditors can issue their Certificate– acceptance proposed by John Underwood and Seconded by Gillian Knight Unanimous

     

    LEADER funding – we do not receive the funds up front but only after the work is completed. There are forms to complete and photos must be submitted of the wayfinder posts which have features that show that they have been put up in Billingshurst, and nowhere else.

    Billifest To date Billifest has received £4,000 in sponsorship

     

    The Return to Companies House is carried out on a PC, it took 6 hours to complete and cannot be saved and returned to.

     

    Wayfinder Posts Costs roughly £1,500 for each post. Question raised as to maintenance.

110.7 Reports Received:

Scam Royal Mail PP, Scam PP, Dementia JU, Scam PP, Road Safety CT.

 

110.8 Questions on project reports PP handed out a cyber crime pamphlet. GK reported a Mansell and Taggart scam. KR reported a repair of a PC scam.

CT has been given permission to speak at a meeting at WSCC on the 16 November.

 

110.9 Billifest JBP outlined the last meeting. The next meeting is on the 15 November.

PP Flyer and brochure – sample passed around, now at the printers with the Gnomes handout. Flyers could be handed out on the 18 and 25 November at Sainsburys when the raffle tickets are on sale. 9 – 10 am and 10 – 11.30. Front and back. CT collecting names of volunteers.

Raffle tickets were on hand with CT for members to take and sell.

 

Marshals PP as many as possible needed and rota will be prepared.

 

Flyers – outside the Primary School, 23 November 3 pm.

 

Fairy Lights ARE MISSING, we bought new ones last year – any idea. We intend to buy new ones if they cannot be found.

 

110.10 EYE PP see JG’s report attached. Pleased to hear from AB that the building cost will not attract VAT. A long way to go, waiting for WSCC and possibility that additional planning permission may be necessary if, in order to keep the cost down, changes have to be made. A quantity surveyor is working on the project and three possible contractors have been identified waiting for the QS.

110.11 AOB

1 Co-option of Helen Abbott Proposed PP Seconded AB Unanimous

2 Horsham District Heritage Forum - GK a grant has been applied for a project identifying 100 interesting objects to be found around the district.

3 Emailing CG pointed out that when replying to emails or cc, all the email addresses are available to non-recipients of a particular email so she encourages members not to use the 'Reply All' facility.

4 Heathland Survey by Mary Saunders GK read out a letter received asking for volunteers to research archives.

5 Station Road Gardens and The Tweet GK congratulations to KB regarding the award mentioned in The Village Tweet. KB still having problems with vandalism and litter.

6 Anti -social behaviour in Billingshurst KR/SC Identified but not so prevalent. Lack of police and CSOs. Wardens help and although Billingshurst Parish Council rejected the idea in the past, they will be approached again. We will ask AG to call a BAIT meeting where we have the opportunity to meet the police.

7 Adopt a Station PP on the 9 November he is going to a meeting of the Arun Vale Railway Users Forum.

8 Sussex Community Housing Hub is holding a meeting on the 5 December, 2 – 5 pm in Steyning.

9 Speedwatch the WS Police must audit the identified roads before speed watching can take place.

10 Horsham District Community Partnerships Forum (New name for the HRTPs) PP Billingshurst is hosting at the BVHCC 30 January 2018 2 – 4 pm.

11 Display of art in BVHCC –CG reported this facility is now free of charge.

12 Choral Society CT handed out pamphlets for the next concert on the 25 November.

13 Advertising Board JU this should be on the agenda for the next meeting 4 January.

14 Waste Campaign PP information handed out received after a presentation of WSCC at the HDCPF meeting last Tuesday.

15 Facebook Comment re Wayfinder Posts JU pointed out the entry with photos.

Date of next the meeting 4 January 2018

Meeting closed at 9.10 pm

 

DOCUMENT IDENTIFICATION AND STATUS

Title     Minutes 2 November 2017

Ref      110

Owner Denise Campbell

Author June Perks

 

DOCUMENT RELEASE AUTHORISATION

Name Denise Campbell

Role Chair, Billingshurst Community Partnership Management Committee


Release Date


Signature………Gillian Knight, Vice
Chairman………………………………………………….

 

DOCUMENT HISTORY

Version

Date

 

1

15 May

 

2

24 May

 
Reports

Treasurer’s Report AB

Right Column

  EYE JG

Below

  Wednesday Group HB Right Column

Document

Village Agent, Age UK CB Right Column
   
  Sussex Police Vacancy Details

 


DISTRIBUTION LIST

Those present

Apologies

BPC

Library

Web

 

PROJECT EYE

 

AUTHOR John Griffin

MONTH May 2017

 

This report is a summary from the presentation notes of 11 May when a full update from start to the present day was given by JG in collaboration with PP. With the exception of FINANCE onwards, all is in chronological order. Over a time span of 8 years.

Selection of the site, preferred Station Road, but inherent problems to be overcome. To be sited on WSCC land adjacent to the school.

Feasibility Studies – appointment of an architect, viability of the site.

Access – landlocked and vehicular access was established.

Legal Representation, appointment of solicitors – to oversee all legal agreements.

Planning Consent –22 conditions were imposed. Final legal agreement regarding access finalised 27 April 2017. Planning Permission can now be granted.

Business Plan (Professionally produced – copies circulated).

Lease – enter into with WSCC, “conditional Agreement to Lease”. Approval required from Weald Governors for the site to be used and from DfE for a change of use from school to community use.

Tendering Process Three contractors approached – Sunninghill, Alan Farrow and Stonehouse.

 

Finance 106 promised £190,000, need to find Grant Providers and PP and I will be preparing our case at the appropriate stage – that is when the lease agreement and the contractor are in place.

 

Construction Phase – Piers Hunter, Quantity Surveyor has been appointed, to manage the project alongside our architect. A timetable will be agreed. Building Phase envisaged as 2018.

 

Functionality at this point Trustees will be required and a management organisation set up to run the facility. We envisage an EYE committee consisting of the core team plus an HDC Councillor, Parish Councillor, Youth Worker, Youth Representatives, Finance Control by Russel Harvey (a parent).

 

SUPPORTING NOTES from JG’S PRESENTATION ON 11 MAY 2017

SITE

Sub-optimal site compared to our preferred site (station Road) but inherent problems needed to be overcome. Gas Main and Access.

FEASIBILITY STUDIES

We appointed an architect and he supervised this phase. Viability of the site was key but all the usual studies were undertaken such as topography, geological, contamination, gas main siting, restrictive covenants, environmental impact statement (slow worms, bats, great crested newts etc.)

ACCESS

Site was landlocked and a vehicular access was established through the Myrtle Lane car park courtesy of HDC. A formal access agreement will be drawn up once we have finalised the lease with WSCC.

LEGAL REPRESENTATION

A firm of solicitors has been appointed to oversee all the legal documentation regarding Planning, Access and Lease Agreements.

PLANNING CONSENT

There were 22 conditions imposed - mostly by Highways – which ranged from emergency services provision, refuse collection arrangements through to safety concerns and parking. Until these were satisfied – even though outline planning consent has already been given – we could not proceed until the S106 provision was met. This required a formal legal agreement regarding access between EYE, HDC and WSCC. This was finalised on 27th April. (Read letter). Only now can Planning Permission be granted to allow the actual building.

BUSINESS PLAN

In order to complete move through these various stages we needed to satisfy various stakeholders both in HDC and WSCC that we had a viable Business Plan. (Show copy). This was professionally produced by Tony Priestley’s daughter at very fair family rates. There will still be questions around funding and financial sustainability which can only be answered as we progress along the timetable continuum.

LEASE

An example of this will be the ‘conditional’ Agreement to Lease that we shall enter into with WSCC. They shall want further reassurance that the monies will be available to construct the facility as well as having a robust revenue programme to maintain the functionality of the EYE facility. The lease agreement has also required the approval of Weald Governors for the site to be used as well as a sign off from the DfE for a change of use from school to community use.

TENDERING PROCESS

We have three contractors interested in quoting for the work: Sunninghill, Alan Farrow and Stone house. Once we have the quotes we shall decide a preferred contractor.

FINANCE

We already have S106 promised to the tune of £190,000 and we shall need a further £700,000 - £850,000 from Grant Providers. PP and I shall be preparing our case for these monies at the appropriate stage - once we have the lease agreement and contractor in place.

CONSTRUCTION PHASE

We shall appoint a Quantity Surveyor (Piers Hunter) to project manage alongside our architect and agree a timetable. Realistically, we do not envisage the building phase until early 2018.

FUNCTIONALITY

At this point we shall have to have appointed our Trustees and set up a management organisation to run the facility. This will also involve the creation of volunteer workers drawn from users of the facility and parents. Up until now the work has mainly been carried out by the Core Team (Patrick, Tony, Denise and myself) with occasional approvals going before Partnership Directors. However, we are now at the stage where we need to involve a broader group of interested people. We envisage an EYE committee consisting of the Core Team, plus an HDC Cllr / Parish Cllr / Youth Worker (Ben Sheldon) / Youth Reps / Finance Control (Russell Harvey – parent) / Jane Cross.

Meantime, the Core Team will keep the various plates spinning whilst putting out any fires!!

 

Billingshurst.community

Billingshurst High Street

 

Treasurer's Report

Author Tony Burke

MONTH MAY

I am currently working on the annual accounts for last year and because I have yet to finalise the b/f figures with the accountant I have not produced my report in the usual table form.

Since my last report there has been little financial activity on General Projects apart from payments relating to maintenance of our website room and vouchers for the YES project..

On the EYE Project we have paid legal fees connected to the S106 for site and received a further payment (£3,435) of S106 grant.

Tony Burke

10 May 2017


PROJECT: Wednesday Group

AUTHOR Hazel Barnes

MONTH May 2017

Billingshurst Wednesday Group meets in St Mary’s Room during the winter and spring for two ten week terms, with a wide variety of speakers providing interesting and stimulating talks. During the summer the opportunity to meet up “out and about” for outings and get-togethers takes place.

During the course of the last two terms, the group has averaged 54 people each week and over the last four years has donated over £3000 to charity or good causes, including two donations to help fund the Village Agent. A cheque has just been written for £1,000 towards the provision of a defibrillator that will be accessible from both St Mary’s Room & the church.

There is not formal membership, all are welcome to come along, paying £3.00 per morning. We help by subsidising some of our older members who use the Community Transport because getting to the meetings has become difficult. The talks start at 10.00 am and are followed by refreshments at 11.00.

I hope this will be of interest & informative - Hazel



PROJECT Village Agent, Age UK

AUTHOR Carol Boniface

MONTH MAY 2017

I’ve nearly completed all necessary training relevant to the village agent role and hope to be spending much more time within the community. This will include attending the Billingshurst Show on 25th June. I am in the process of dealing with 3 referrals for older people for support. We recently held a Take Five event in Lavinia House around scams which was very well attended with a few residents from Billingshurst there and I’m also attended the Over 65s club with Sandy on 8th May to give a scam talk alongside Patrick.