Billingshurst Community Partnership

Company No 5573204

A company limited by guarantee

Registered in England and Wales

Registered Office: 4 Heath Square, Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 1BL.


CONTACT US HERE


January 2018 Minutes

Other minutes for 2017

Please follow the links for the appropriate month

MINUTES OF THE PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT MEETING
HELD AT THE BILLINGSHURST CENTRE

Thursday 26 July 2018 at 7.30 pm


Present

Helen Abbott

HA

Billingshurst & District Rotary Club

Management Committee

Hazel Barnes

HB

Wednesday Group

Management Committee

Keith Brown

KB

Station Road Gardens

Management Committee

Denise Campbell

DC

Chairman

Director

Jane Cross

JC

Individual

Management Committee

Owen Davies

OD

Individual

Management Committee

Alan Grant

AG

Individual

Affiliate

Carolyn Gibbs

CG

Individual

Member

Gillian Knight

GK

Vice Chairman Representing History Society

Director

Kate Rowbottom

KR

HDC

Affiliate

Tony Scrase

TS

Individual

Joined the meeting

Carol Terry

CT

Billingshurst Choral Society

Management Committee

John Underwood

Ju

BCP

Management Committee

Katy Bourne

 

Police & Crime Commissionner

Speaker

Lynn Lambert

 

HDC

Visitor

J Blackhall

 

HDC

Visitor

Minutes Helen Abbott (HA)

116.1 Welcome and Declarations of Interest. There were no declarations of interest.

DC Welcomed Katy Bourne, Police and Crime Commissioner inviting her to address the meeting; as follows and with questions from the audience.

Katy explained her role: she sets the plan and budget, which is currently £250,000,000. She holds the Chief Constable to account during their monthly meetings. She is only one of three PCCs to do a webcast and the only one who has regular meetings with her Chief Constable.

£2 million has been given to support victims of crime, which includes Restorative Justice for victims, to meet the perpetrator if they wish. 30,000 offers were made last year. There is a young victim and witness service and last year the youngest to receive support was 5 years old.

Local Policing – There was an uplift of £12 in the precept this year which, together with using reserves, has enabled Katy to enlist 200 more police for the next four years which, allowing for natural losses, should result in 200 more police officers at the end of the four years.

There are police not only walking the beat but monitoring the digital beat which allows world-wide communication between criminals. In Operation Signature the Sussex Police support and meet with cyber crime victims.

DC – asked about the grooming of young people by criminal gangs outside of our area with the intention of getting them to be drug dealers locally, also the monitoring of drug use in prisons and corruption in the police due to the rise in drug related crime.

Katy responded– There is very strict inspection in place and forces are alert and monitor the situation. Most forces are scrutinized now. The legal highs used in prison caused inmates to be violent but those on hard drugs were easier to control.

KB – Station Road Gardens has experienced problems with young people, but when a witness called the police about a serious incidence they had to wait an hour and a half without response.

Katy – asked for details so that she could look into the matter.

OD – When on the County Council, he found that the Police Committee were not able to remove a Chief Constable.

Katy confirmed that she could if necessary. She commented that they were working with the 5th lowest Police Precept in the Country.

John Blackhall – District Councillor for Chanctonbury, - Questioned the role of the Neighbourhood Wardens

Katy part of their duty is to keep the police informed of local problems.

GK – We will be having more officers but will all be thoroughly trained?

Katy – Yes They will receive 12 weeks training with increased classroom capacity and serving police officers will operate as tutors in the district. When the brand new force is in place the culture can be changed to be more preventative.

Mrs Bourne left the meeting.

116.2 Apologies for absence, Sandy Duck, Tony Priestley, Patrick Perks, June Perks, John Griffin

116.3 Minutes of the meeting held on 21st June 2018 were accepted as a true record

Unanimous

116.4 Matters Arising from the above minutes:

CLP. Denise met Chris Cooper and explained that local traders felt left out of the CofC. He offered to walk round the village and introduce himself and form a new Retailers Group.

113.9 Local Environment Projects – CT has taken the lead on these projects and stated that most emails are about the hedge outside the Children’s Centre. Volunteers can be trained and WSCC will insure them but no one will take the spoil away. Overgrown hedges etc. can be reported on the ‘Love West Sussex App’. All members are encouraged to download this and use it whenever they see infrastructure problems and potential dangers

114.5.8 Friends of the Railway Station The new Visitor and Tourist Map is to be framed for the Waiting Room at the Station.

115.6 Financial Report The Arts Emporium have paid their bill but Cubitt & West still owe for the WAB brochure sponsorship. JU to follow up.

115 Billifest. SD was going to send a list of responsibilities for the running of Billifest but this was still awaited. GK said that the list was needed for clarification so that it can be identified where volunteers will be required. Tweet and Horsham Volunteers could be canvassed.

113.5.2 Visitor & Tourism Website GK Minutes from the Horsham Rural Town Partnership had been received but Billingshurst has its own Website which will be linked into that of Horsham.

116.5 Report from the Chair

The Partnership and Community will feel the sad loss of Ken Johnson. An article will be on the Website and sent to County Times and the Village Tweet.

1 The Wish Club is now up and running again on Friday mornings; alternate weeks in the Community Centre and the Library.

2 Prescribing scheme We have had a request from HDC Community Development asking if the BCP would be interested in helping develop a Social Prescribing scheme. Through their GP’s, this scheme would help link patients to community groups that could offer them help. This could be help with loneliness, depression, or more tangible support, such as shopping etc. The Surgery is willing to participate. It was noted that there is a need for support for people leaving hospital, after bereavement etc. It was pointed out that this is an area where the Wardens will have some responsibility. There was general consensus to explore this opportunity.

DC will involve the Wardens and Billingshurst Community Transport who are often aware of needs.

3 HDC Voluntary Service Scrutiny Group DC advised that she now sits on the HDC Voluntary Service Scrutiny Group which was set up when HDC assumed the role of supporting the voluntary sector within Horsham district earlier this year. DC encouraged all members representing other groups to sign up to the HDC Community Support Portal. It is a very useful and valuable tool with a wealth of interesting information and available to all voluntary sector groups. Voluntary groups need to enroll and sign-up to the website which is a simple exercise.

116.6 AB Financial Report was circulated. Outstanding money had been received from Leader for the visitor & tourism website and £55 for the sale of equipment from the Creatives shop.

116.7 Reports:- JU The next session for Dementia Awareness will be held on 6th August and not the 9th as on the circulated report.

116.8 No questions received on projects.

116.9 Main Report No Main Report: Katy Bourne visit instead

116.10 AOB

1 AG – The Post Office is seeking approval for the installation of an ATM in the Jengers Mead Post Office.

2 The Surgery are now hoping to get their extension applied for 5years ago.

3 The Co-op is interested in taking on the empty property in the High Street and will be visiting it.

4 When the relief road to the north of the village is complete it will be labelled A272 and the current road through the village will be a ‘c’ category road.

5 CG would be having a fund raising event for her Nicaraguan Project on the 11th August in the Unitarian Chapel. Stuart Cope, as curator of the Chapel is keen to get people into the building and see it used. It is one of the conditions of the Heritage Fund grant that they received for repairs to the roof.

DATE FOR AGM – Evening Friday 6 October. DC to book Stanley Room at BCCC in absence of JBP

Date of next Ordinary Meeting – Thursday 13th September 7.30pm at BCCC

 

 

DOCUMENT IDENTIFICATION AND STATUS

 

Title Minutes 26 July 2018

Ref 116

Owner Denise Campbell

Author Helen Abbott

 

DOCUMENT RELEASE AUTHORISATION


Name Denise Campbell

Role Chair, Billingshurst Community Partnership Management Committee

Release Date

Signature………Denise Campbell Chairman………………………………………………….


DOCUMENT HISTORY

Version

Date

 

1

31 August 2018

 

2

2 September 2018

 
 

Reports

Dementia JU

   

Reports to HRTF’s Henfield, Pulborough, Steyning

   

Economic Development

   

Treasurer’s Report


DISTRIBUTION LIST

Those present

Apologies

BPC

Library

Web

 



Billingshurst.community

High Street


PROJECT: Dementia campaign

AUTHOR; John Underwood
MONTH : July 2018

An awareness session was held on 17th July attended by seven First Responders.

The next session will be held at CCs Emporium, Jengers Mead on 9th August at 5pm. We would like to have at least three attendees to bring our total attendance for the year to date to fifty.

The Quiet area in the Trinity Church tent at the Billingshurst Show was well received with a number of enquiries.

Five Billingshurst organisations are now members of the Horsham District Dementia Alliance. With, hopefully, the Lions, Weald School and St. Mary's Church to follow.